Friday, July 30, 2010

University for Peace - Asian Leaders Program

Are you from Asia? Interested in peacebuilding? Want to know where is Costa Rica? Want to go to two countries (Philippines and Costa Rica)? Want to have a masters program at UN-mandated University for Peace? Quires hablar o aprender EspaƱol? Why not?

I was part of the first batch of this program in 2007 - 2008.I got to know of the program via the internet. Now at least, you get to know this from me.

After preparing the requirements for application, I sent my application through LBC padala to Costa Rica. I spent about a little over a thousand pesos (about $30) for my application package. After a month or so, I got an email that my application was received and that I would be interviewed later in the month.

My interview took place at 4 am, Philippine time. So I had to wake up early and wash away my sleepiness by sipping few cups of coffee. It was a panel interview. Basically, they asked about my previous work related to peace and my interest in peacebuilding.

In a month´s time, I got the result. I was in.

This 19-month scholarship is a dual campus program. The first part is a 4-month English intensive course in Ateneo de Manila University, the Philippines. Then the next six months will be at the University for Peace in Costa Rica for Foundation Courses and other interesting courses. After that, scholars will return to the Philippines for contextualiation of peace and conflict courses in Asian perspectives and contexts. To cap the program is a choice between internship and research project. Most students, like me, opt for an internship in other countries.

For more information: http://www.upeace.org/academic/spec_masters/alp.cfm

Or put a comment and I will respond to your queries. Thanks..

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I am interested in applying at the ALP and have found their Web site very helpful in sorting out the application process.

    I have a question, though. Where did you do your internship? I believe it is different now since I read that the six-week internship will be done in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete